Thanks for sending in your sweet potato recipes. I thought I’d share one that looked yummy. This recipe came from a friend of mine who had torn it out of Southern Living Magazine in 2002 and has used it every year since. She was excited to type it up for me so she could throw away the original copy with all of her crumbs and spills on it! Enjoy!
4 1/2 pounds sweet potatos
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups cornflakes cereal, crushed
1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
1. Wrap sweet potatoes in foil and bake at 400° for about 1 hour (they should be soft).
2. Let cool, peel and mash.
3. Beat potatoes, sugar, milk, softened butter, eggs, vanilla, and salt until smooth.
4. Spoon into a greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
5. Combine cornflakes pecans, brown sugar and melted butter. Sprinkle in diagonal stripes in rows 2 inches apart.
6. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove and let stand 10 minutes. Don’t turn the oven off yet!
7. Sprinkle alternate rows with marshmallows; bake 10 more minutes.
The dish should look striped on the top. Be sure to serve part of the marshmallow AND part of the cornflake topping to each guest!